Tuesday, December 23, 2014

12-16-14 to 12-22-14

Alright so I don't have my journal so I'll try to remember this week! This week has been pretty good!  So Tuesday morning at around 7 Lopez left.  It was pretty sad to say bye to my first comp in the field aka my padre as they say in the mission, but something the mission has taught me is to buck up and not get hung up on goodbyes.  Because the mission has a ton of those haha.  So the whole day I was with the zone leader Elder Rodriguez and we had some really cool lessons including committing 2 people to baptism!  His area is a lot more humble than mine.  We taught people with dirt floors that literally lived in lean to's with card board walls.  It was crazy but cool to see their strength.  The next day we went early to my apartment and waited for the new comp of Rodriguez.  His name is Elder Inman from California so I'm pretty happy to have another gringo to talk to haha.  So pretty much a lot of this week has been meeting new people and helping a lot of less actives.  Turns out I teach really well with my 2 comps!  Sometimes I want to kill Mejia but when it comes to it I love the kid haha.  Thursday morning, Mejia came in and said to hurry and get ready because we were going to Pasto!  haha to be honest I didn't even ask questions why and just got ready and left. But I eventually found out we were going to a clinic in Pasto because he's been having bad back problems.  So we traveled to Pasto and it was pretty cool to travel during the day because I could actually see how beautiful this part of Colombia is!  The canyons are HUGE and there's waterfalls and rivers everywhere!  In Pasto he found out he just has muscle problems and needs therapy.  After that we went to the huge mall and had some lunch, bought some Jet Bars and went back to Ipiales.  So this weekend we had a conference with 3 zones in Popayan aka the White City.  We left Friday night at 9pm after we had a cool family home evening about Christmas with a member and his Catholic fam.  The bus ride was about 9 hours so we arrived at 6 am.  In the conference we sang a song in English, watched 17 miracles, received the packages we got for Christmas, heard some words from Pres. Pricoli and left.  It was honestly pretty pointless but whatever I figure it was just for Christmas.  The ride back that night was a LOT longer, 12 hours.  The traffic was pretty bad and theres been lots of fog lately.  Yesterday Antonio was ordained with the Aaronic priesthood!  It was way cool, and its so great to see him progress.  We're planning on helping him prepare to pass the sacrament this Sunday!  He's pretty nervous haha.  All of yesterday, Bello and I went splits with a member while Mejia went with the Mission leader.  It was pretty cool!  Bello and I worked with the less actives in my area and we progressed a lot!  Today for P day we just played soccer and yeah.  Nothing too exciting.  But we're going to Las Lajas again next week!  So yeah. There's my week.  Christmas is in 3 days which means I GET TO TALK WITH THE FAM.  I'm so excited :D So Feliz Navidad to everyone! 

Elder Welch
______________________________________________________________________________

I asked Jake to give me "a little spiritual something you've learned or been thinking about to add to the blog." and after he responded with "yeah yeah!  ummm to be honest i cant think of one off the top of my head..." (hahah!) He finally came up with this. I was impressed!:

"k something spiritual I taught yesterday to less actives.  In 1 Nephi 17 how he's commanded to build a ship.  That's a SUPER crazy thing for the Lord to require but the first thing Nephi says is "where can I find materials to make the tools?"  He doesn't even hesitate!  Then in verse 13 it says, 

"And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."

We can compare the wilderness to our lives and the promised land to the presence of God.  We are never alone and if we're faithful and obedient like Nephi, the Lord will ALWAYS provide a way for us.  We just need to trust in God.  That is a ton of help in my mission considering I'm 18 in another country speaking a new language. 

My favorite scripture right now is probably
1 Nephi 4:6
 "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."

Trust in God and all will be okay.

"never worry whether or not everything will be alright.  Everything already is."              

No comments:

Post a Comment